Porcelain Veneers – New Bedford, MA
Transforming Your Smile In Just Two Visits
As a cosmetic dentist in New Bedford, we’ve found that porcelain veneers are one of our most popular procedures, and it’s easy to see why! Not only can we completely transform the appearance of your smile, but we can usually do it in just two appointments. If you’ve always wanted a smile that looks amazing and would like to know if porcelain veneers are right for you, give us a call at Clear Coast Dental today to schedule a consultation!
How Do Porcelain Veneers Work?
Veneers can be made from a variety of materials, but porcelain is a particularly great choice. In addition to being very strong, it reflects light the same way that natural teeth do and is also stain-resistant. This makes porcelain veneers natural-looking and also long-lasting (they can last 10-20 years with basic maintenance).
After we’ve done a consultation to make sure veneers are right for you, we’ll discuss how you want your smile to look. Then the procedure is done in two visits:
- First, we’ll numb the area and prep your teeth by removing a small amount of surface enamel. This is done so your veneers don’t look or feel bulky.
- We’ll take impressions to send to the dental lab and will give them the exact specifications we want for shape, size, and color.
- Next, we’ll put temporary veneers on your teeth that will stay on until your second visit.
- Finally, you’ll come back about two weeks later to have the permanent veneers adhered. The cement we use is similar to what’s used for dental crowns, so it’s very strong and durable.
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers offer many benefits and will give your smile an entirely different look. First, they’re easy to maintain and will look great for many years. They’re also very conservative, so we can preserve more of your existing tooth structure compared to other procedures like dental crowns. And, since porcelain is so stain-resistant, you won’t have to worry about coffee, tea, or red wine stains.
Another advantage of veneers is that they can be used to mask a multitude of cosmetic flaws, including chips or cracks, oddly shaped or uneven teeth, severe stains, small gaps, and minor crowding. While we do want to make sure you don’t have any oral health needs that need to be addressed first (e.g. cavities or unmanaged gum disease), most people are a good candidate for the procedure.
How Can You Maintain Your Porcelain Veneers?
Although porcelain veneers don’t require any complicated maintenance, there are a few tips and tricks you can use to help them last:
- See us for regular checkups so we can spot any potential problems as early as possible.
- Your veneers themselves can’t get cavities but the tooth structure underneath them can. Floss once each day and brush at least twice with a soft-bristled brush and non-abrasive toothpaste (avoid whitening formulas because they can scratch and dull porcelain).
- Avoid chewing on things like ice or pens, and be careful when eating anything crunchy like apples (cutting them into pieces first is helpful).
- If you clench and grind at night, wear a nightguard to prevent chips or cracks.